Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

What happened to "Thank You" notes?



The other day we got a thank you note from the wedding we attended last month.

A hand written thank you card, no already printed words, just a blank card filled up with words from the bride and groom.

Granted the hubby was the best man, but still.  We bought them a gift, drove 12 hours, I skipped a clinical day, and we made the wedding.  But that's besides the point.  The card was hand written.

The card thanked us for the gift, coming to the wedding, making their day special.  It made me so happy to read those words.

Sometimes just knowing you are appreciated makes your day.

When I was younger, my mother always told me that you should always hand write thank you notes.  Send Christmas cards.  Send Birthday cards.  Send cards for no reason.  Treat people as you want to be treated.

Simple right?

Yes, but people don't do these things anymore.  The world we live in is full of text and email.  We don't even call people anymore.

Now I'll admit, I'm guilty of not calling people.  Unless it's my mom.  I call her ever single Sunday, again, something I learned from her, she called her mom every single Sunday after church.

I also make a point to send Christmas cards every year.  This year I sent over 25 cards all over the world.  How many did we get in return?  Three.

So what has happened to people being nice to people?

What happened to the simple thank you note?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think these simple things are important, so I'm teaching my son the same thing.

Maybe people are still nice to other people, but I think we could be a little more connected, and not in an electronic way.

Do you send thank you cards?  Christmas cards?  Birthday cards?  A card for no reason?

I certainly do!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. See, another post where I am like "WE ARE SO SIMILAR!" I sent most people hand written thank yous for my bday party. I sent random cards to people all the time :) Give me your addy, I will send you a sarcastic as hell one (those are my fave).

    However, no holiday cards for us. Can't seem to get the husband on board ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!! Do send me cards, especially the sarcastic ones, those are my fave too!!!!!

      Send me your address and I'll send you a Christmas card! Ours are always pretty freaking funny. Last year we all wrote our own parts. My kiddo said he's been busy looking for big foot all year! HA!! Wonder where he gets THAT from!! :)

      Delete