Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

End of the year review

2012 was a great year.  It hasn't always been awesome, we've had our ups and downs, but hey, that's okay too, that's the joy of life!

January and February
I was injured most of this time.  Therefore I didn't run much.  It was a dark time for me.  I didn't know if I'd ever get better.  The hubby had been gone for 4-5 months by then, and I thought I might lose my mind.  I didn't want to run, I didn't want to do anything.  I wanted to sulk in my misery.  And I did.

Late February
The hubby returned from a six month deployment and all was back to normal (well as normal as anything gets around here)

March
Pam won a free entry to the Shamrock Half in Virginia Beach but since she had already paid for hers, she gave it to me (seriously, she's the best best friend anyone could ever have!!!).  I ran the half with her until mile 10, I couldn't hang with her any longer.  I was coming back from injury, the goal was to finish, and I got to hang with my buddy for the weekend!

Note to self: the sweaty band looks stupid on me.  Always wear a visor!  Always!
April
We went to Busch Gardens for J's spring break in April and had a blast!

May
Birthday month!!!!  I celebrate the entire month, especially since May is also mothers day!  I ran the local 10K, and PR'd.  I also went back to school in May, classes started on my birthday!  Lucky me!

What?  You don't wear a tiara for your birthday?  You should!!  Oh and the #1 on the cake?  That's cause I'm #1!!!

10K race.  The pic is blurry, and it's the only one I have, I like to think it's because I was going so fast...

June
4 The Wounded 5K trail run with 100% of the proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior Project.  How can anyone NOT do a local race for that?  Wounded Warrior Project is near and dear to my heart.  I would one day LOVE to work with Vets.  They are my most favorite people in the whole world.  We also did Run Amuck at Quantico.  By far the funnest, coolest, hardest run I've ever done.  And I'm soooooo doing it next year!!!!!  Oh and MCM training started in June as well!!

The hubs and I after 4 the Wounded

Hubs and I before Run Amuck.  We got pretty muddy to say the least!!


July
Lots of running and studying.  Nothing else.  I ran nearly 140 miles that month, and probably studied 140 hours.


August 
Our family vacation to the caribbean via cruise boat.  It was an amazing seven day vacation away from all things technology.  Back to family.  'Cause that's way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it (uh huh, uh huh)!  (you soooo have that song in your head now!!)

J on the speed boat

J trying to "run" in the water...

On the beach in St.Marteen

End of August was back to school for me, and middle school for the kiddo!  YIKES!!!

September
The local Women's 4 Miler, which I was kinda injured, but still PR'd!!

Women's 4 miler
I remember being in lots of pain in this pic.  Lots.


October

Marine Corps Marathon.  I PR'd there too!!  Seriously, best race ever!

J and I at Runners Village before the race

Why thank you!  I AM awesome!

New marathon PR!!


November
Richmond's Half Marathon.  I PR'd, yet again!!!  I got accepted into the LPN-RN program!!!  The kiddo had his first orchestra concert.  I fell and got pretty banged up!  And I spent Thanksgiving with my little family, just the three of us!


Only pic of me at Richmond!  I was speedy that day!
Ha, remember this?  I think I still may have a paint chip in my lip!


December
Santa Hustle Half with my besty!  (Still cannot believe I got that girl in a tutu!!!!!)  My kiddo turned 12 on half marathon weekend, and we got to spend it with some cool peeps!!!  I spent Christmas for the first time ever without my parents.  It was weird yes, but it was also nice with just my boys.



We are the cutest Santa's I've ever seen!

Wow, looking back I had lots of PR's this year!  What can I say, I had a good year.  I quit my full time job and went back to school.  I ran more (mostly because I had more time to do so).  I trained for MCM in the middle of a full school load, and honestly, I think that running helped me stay focused in school.  I have lots of family support, both near (hubby, kiddo) and far (parents, friends).  When I don't think I'm gonna make it, I'll text my worries, and usually in a matter of minutes, I'll get a motivational text back telling me I'm awesome.  I know I'm awesome, but sometimes I forget and need to be reminded.

My main goal for 2012 wasn't to run farther, or faster, it wasn't even running related.  It was to enjoy life and not let others bring me down.  I decided to live like the Honey Badger, and I'm proud of it.  I've lived my whole life trying to make others like me, or to please everyone else around me.  I realized that in 2011 that doing just that brought me down, and I just wasn't happy anymore.  I made myself a priority in 2012.  I found out that as long as my husband and kiddo are happy, then that is all that matters to me.  That is what makes me happy.  I love to see them both succeed in life and just be happy.  I realized I cannot change what people think of me.  I cannot change people who don't want to change.  My goals for 2013 will be similar, but a little more to add into the mix.

I'll post some 2013 goals soon!!  I still haven't figured all them out yet!








3 comments:

  1. I love this! It's easy to forget how awesome the year was until you start writing down all the cool stuff that happened. :)

    Can't wait to plan our 2013 shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Pam are a hoot. I love those Santa costumes. And you can totally rock a headband. I think it looks good! Here's to kicking some 2013 tail!

    ReplyDelete