Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm not going to list several things I'm thankful for, today I'm going to list the most important thing that I'm thankful for today.

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!

I was accepted into the LPN-RN transition class.

You have no idea the amount of weight that was lifted off my shoulders this morning at approximately 7:00am.  I've been working so hard since summer to make the grade and get accepted.

If you're not familiar with nursing, I'm an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse), I like to also call myself the Low Paid Nurse (get it?).  Anyway, I've been a nurse for a little over 10 years now.  I started nursing school when my son was just four months old.  I knew I needed to do something with my life, just in case things didn't work out between his dad and I (I'm happy to report they did).  I honestly don't know where the idea to become a nurse came from, I was 21 years old, and a complete idiot.  I learned a lot in that year of school.  I learned I was a lot smarter than I gave myself credit for, I also learned that anything worth having is worth fighting for.  I fought hard, I worked hard, and without the support of my family, I don't think I would have made it.  I found out that I have a knack for taking care of people, and I'll be honest, I'm damn good at it too.

So what happens now?  I start nursing school in the spring, and I'll graduate the following spring in 2014.  After I graduate, I'll sit for boards and take the state exam to become an RN.  I already have all of my prerequisites for nursing, so I'll be basically doing nursing classes as well as the not so easy classes that I'll need in order to apply for med school.

I guess a good question is, "why get your nursing degree if you want to be a doctor?"  Well let me tell you, I'm not getting any younger.  I need some reassurance in case things don't go as planned and life has definitely thrown me some curve balls in my time.  I'm the queen of back up plans.  I already know how to be a nurse, and I'll have a job, no matter where my husbands job takes us.  If I apply to med school and I don't get in the first time, that's okay, I can work as a nurse until med school realizes how awesome I am.

So until then, I'll just sit back and enjoy the chaotic ride of nursing school!  I've done this before, I can do it again, no biggie, right?

Was there ever something you wanted to do, but didn't tell anyone because you feared you'd be laughed at?












1 comment: