Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Humble

Yesterday I had my pediatric rotation at the local hospital.  I love peds, it is my passion, I feel in my element when I'm on that floor tending to the sickly kids.  Kids are awesome.  You can be silly, and they love it!!!

Yesterday was a little different for me.  I've dealt mostly with kids that were in a clinic and I've nursed their wounds, gave them shots to keep them healthy, and did a lot of parent teaching.

I've been so excited about working on the peds floor, and even applied to the floor.  I still want to work there one day (I was totally turned down on my first application to the floor).

Yesterday, while my 18 yr old patient was sleeping, I cared for a four week old baby that had open heart surgery to repair a defect she was born with. The nurse asked me to check on her, and I gladly went in to discover she was whimpering under her blanket, so I did what any nurse would, I picked her up and held her.

I held that little baby in my arms until she fell asleep and went to the computer to find out what exactly was wrong with her.  She has Tetralogy of Fallot, a congenital heart defect, and she is also addicted to methadone.  And her parents are no where to be found.

She's only four weeks old.

I went back in the room to find her whimpering again, so I fed her, changed her diaper, and rocked her to sleep again.

As I'm rocking this tiny bundle of joy, I'm reminded of the first time I held my son.  I remember him being so much bigger than her, and how he looked at me with the same look she gave me as she dozed off to sleep.  As I lay her down back in her crib, I have to wonder who would leave this baby alone in a hospital.  Not this momma, that's for sure.

I came home from a long 10 hour clinical day and gave my son a huge hug.  I told him how happy I am to have him, and that I will never leave him.  (Poor kid didn't know what to think).

I often take for granted that my kid is healthy, my husband is awesome, and my doggies are happy and healthy.

Even though yesterday was tough on me mentally, I know I'm meant to work with kids in some way for the rest of my life.  I know that all that baby needed was love yesterday.  That is all.  Love.

The Beatles said it best, "All you need is love, love.  Love is all you need"


2 comments:

  1. Them fuckers that turned you down have no idea what a damn good nurse they're missing out on. Just because their "more experienced" nurse looks good on paper, no way does she have the heart you have.

    ReplyDelete