Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday thoughts on why I run...

Doesn't look like much, huh?


Today I went out for a run.  And I realized something...

I loved it.  I loved every single moment.

It wasn't that it was a super easy run, but I let my thoughts take control.

Let me set it up for you...

It was my typical Thursday run.  Trying to fit it in before lunch with the hubby but after grocery shopping, and definitely before afternoon study time.  I set out for 2-3 miles since I'm still pretty sore from the other day doing weights.  But then something happened.  I got lost in my thoughts.  I totally let them take the wheel, and I passed my 1.50 mile turn around point.  I ran until I came to around 2 miles.  I've never had this happen.  I remember thinking to myself, "I'll see how I feel at 1 mile, and I'll turn around no longer than 1.5".  I totally missed that turn around, and didn't even realize it until 2 miles.  Not that it mattered much.

What was I thinking about?

How fortunate I am for the life I live.  Although it isn't always perfect, or fun, or easy for that matter, but it's my life, and I am capable of so many things.  I have the best friends anyone could ask for, I have a wonderful family that loves me unconditionally and supports me in everything.  Isn't that all that matters in the end, friends and family?  Yep, I thought so.  If I didn't have those things in my life, I'd feel empty.

I often think on my runs about life, but it's usually about school, or what I need to do this week or next week.  I never get to think about why I have the life I have.  I'm a pretty lucky chick.  I used to run to be healthier and leaner, but now I run because it clears my mind.  I often run before I take an exam at school, and when I do, I usually ace the exam.  It helps clear my mind of all the junk.  I've never had a running partner (other than Oscar (dog) and occasionally my husband will accompany me on his bike), and I'm not sure I need one.  I feel like maybe that will take away why I run.  I've run for so long alone, I don't know what it'd be like to run with someone else all the time.  Of course that being said, I'm certainly open to it!!  (Maybe just not every run)

I just felt like running...
I totally had a Forrest Gump moment today....and I LOVE Forrest Gump y'all!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever had runs like this?

What are you thankful for?

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy running and I enjoy running alone, it recharges me and I relax.
    I have had runs where I feel like I could run forever and have run right past my turnaround points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It recharges and relaxes me too!

      I hope I have many more runs like that, they don't come often enough!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love hearing about this run and how grateful and happy it made you feel (and that you kept going and didn't even realize it)! I had a lot of runs like this in the early morning hours in the dark this winter. Not so much now in the light. But I hear you on the benefits of running solo and having all that time with your thoughts!

    But you know we would have a blast running together.

    P.S. I am eating Oreos right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would have a blast!!! Fo-sho!!! We could make it a threesome and invite Pam!

      I need Oreos. I'm going to buy some now.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Must totally invite Pam!

      Have you tried the new sher-bert white oreos?!

      Delete
    3. Yes and no...

      YES to inviting Pam!

      No, I haven't even seen them. I was just there today picking up my 'double stuffed'...I did see birthday cake ones though!! I may have to get some of those this month since it's my birthday month and all...

      Delete